Sunday, December 12, 2010

One Busy Weekend

Remember in the last post when I said Colin hadn't been feeling well? Well, I didn't know how right I was until he was admitted into the hospital later that same night.

Not long after I blogged about his 2-month appointment and his immunization, I noticed he was really hot. I had him wrapped up in a blanket, so I blamed it on that. When Matt got home from work he noticed it too. We took Colin's temperature...102.3. I immediately called the on-call pediatrician who told me to give Colin some medicine and call him back in an hour. Fevers in children younger than 3 months, who show no other symptoms, can be a sign of a serious infection, so the doctor didn't want to take any chances. The hour went by, but at that point his temperature was still 101 so to the urgent care we went.

The time we spent in the urgent care was awful. If you ever think watching your child get immunizations is bad, never watch your baby get a catheter for a urine sample or have blood drawn out of a vein. Colin screamed and screamed while two nurses, a doctor, and Matt held him down as they tried to get blood. They tried both arms and an ankle without success, so they ended up just doing a heel prick.

By about 11 we were taken up to the pediatric unit of the hospital where there was only one other kid, so we got lots of attention. At this point they checked his vitals and did a respiratory panel to check for 8 common viruses.

Colin did relatively well through the night, and his fever went away, but when they took another blood sample on Saturday morning they found out his white blood cell count was even higher, so the doctor wanted to perform a lumbar puncture to remove a small amount of spinal fluid to test for serious bacterial infections like meningitis.

I consider myself a pretty optimistic person, so even though this whole ordeal was heart-breaking and stressful, there was one thing that could make me smile.

 Did you have any idea they made hospital gowns this small? :)

After the lumbar puncture, they had to start an IV in order to give him a dose of antibiotics. They wrapped the IV and strapped a board on his arm in order to keep the IV in place. It looked like he had a little cast...

Throughout his hospital stay, Colin had tons of wires all over him. Here he is showcasing the leeds monitoring his heart rate. I also have to give a shout out to Megan who spent all day Saturday at the hospital with us AND brought us breakfast and dinner that day. Megan ROCKS!

All of the cultures they took had to be monitored for 24 hours to see if any bacteria grew. So even though Colin was feeling a lot better by Saturday night, we were forced to stay in the hospital until Sunday around 3 PM. The whole experience was no fun, but we made it through and got out of the hospital just in time for Colin's baby blessing!

We had it scheduled to do during church that day, but since we missed church, we rearranged to do it at the house of my cousin and his awesome wife. (Thanks Tim and Becky!)

A bunch of my extended family and several friends came to help us celebrate. I really wish I had gotten more pictures, but as you might have guessed, I was a little exhausted and stressed. I did manage to at least get a family picture though.

And because I hadn't managed to get a picture of Kim holding Colin yet, I got one of those too. Here you go, Kim!

And if a hospital stay and a baby blessing weren't enough, we moved the next day. I was a little anxious about taking Colin on a plane, but he seemed to be feeling a lot better, so after we finished packing and loading all of our stuff in our two cars and trailers, Colin, my mother-in-law, and I boarded a plane headed for our new home. 

 He did well on both flights and slept most of the time.

Sorry this post was so long, but like the title was one busy weekend.


Amber M. said...

POOR LITTLE GUY! That is the toughest part of motherhood, I think, when your little one is sick!

Good luck with the rest of the move!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the picture so I don't feel so left out now. :)

Niki said...

Excuse me! What is wrong with a long post??? Some of us are dying to know what you are doing in OK! Although this didn't explain much of that...

Love the hospital gown, but poor baby!

All Handleys on Deck! said...

Wow Jessica! That was a BUSY weekend! I'm glad to hear everything turned out alright!

Elder Kundis said...

That picture of Colin in the hospital gown is beautifully heart-wrenching, i'm getting a print of it for sure!!!! I love you guys!!! MOM in MT