Thursday, June 23, 2011

Joplin, MO

Joplin is a little under 2 hours northeast from where we are, and to help cleaning up the city, our church has been sending men from the surrounding stakes to do heavy manual labor on the weekends. Father's Day weekend was our stake's turn. Matt wasn't able to go because he had to work, but his dad made the trip up there to help out. All of the pictures he took of his phone got uploaded onto our computer, so I thought I would post some. (Thanks, Mike!)






The pictures are pretty small, so you may not be able to see much, but from what I can tell the damage is devastating.

Mike said on one side of the street there could be a house that was completely demolished and on the other side a house that only lost a shingle or two. It's crazy how tornados work.

After my first tornado season, I can officially say I haven't seen any tornados, and I hope it stays that way. Meanwhile, my heart goes out to all those who have been affected by tornados this year.

oh, and if this post makes you scared to ever visit Tornado Alley, just remember tornados have been known to occur in lots of other places too :)

No comments: