Monday, May 12, 2008

Humorous Hospital Moments

A few funny things that happened to me during my short stay at the hospital...

Considering my little knowledge of how things work in hospitals, I was not aware of the line of authority that exists between nurses, nurse's aids (aka CNAs or PCTs), and all the others that work in patient care. So how was I supposed to know that soon after my surgery when my nurse mentions "when you need to go to the bathroom, we'd like to help you the first time" she didn't mean she would be helping me?

A few hours later when my nurse, Janet, came in to shoot more morphine into my IV, I said, "while you're in here, can you help me go to the bathroom?" She gives me a somewhat surprised look, then says in a rather disgusted way, "I'll get someone in here to help you." And she sent in the CNA. Apparently I offended her because I didn't see her the rest of her shift. Every other time I needed morphine another nurse came in because Janet was apparently "at lunch". A little fishy if you ask me...

And for my next story, late Wednesday night (and by late I mean maybe 8:30 or 9) I was lying in my bed with most of the lights off when this woman wearing a sweat shirt and jeans sticks her head into my room and says "Hey, how are you doing? Can I get you anything?" Being drugged up and a little confused anyway, I just answered, "I'm doing okay. No, I'm fine."

There was a pause, then she said, "umm, I'll be right back," then ducks out of the doorway and someone else in the hallways asks, "was that her?" I just kept laughing to Matt that this strange woman thought I was someone she knew. Turns out the person she was looking for was in the room next to mine.

No comments: