Friday, March 18, 2011

Decorating (Part 1)

I have a lot of plans for how I want to decorate our house. So far, I have completed two of them.

This rocking chair used to belong to Matt's grandma. It's a really nice glider, but I hated the upholstery. It wasn't my style and it wasn't very nice fabric.

I found some green home decor fabric that I thought would match Colin's nursery, and I went to work. The hardest part of the project was creating a pattern. I used some scrap fabric to trace a pattern onto after I did a little measuring, and in the end it turned out pretty well.

The second hardest part was the tufting (sewing the buttons on). There are three buttons on both the front and back, and because I was just using the thread and needle I had on hand, it was a little tricky.


And here is the finished product. I think it looks a million times better. Now we're contemplating staining the wood to match his crib and changing table (the dark wood to the right of the chair is the end of his crib).

I have at least three more things I plan on doing/putting up in the nursery before it's finished, then I'll show you the whole room. I hope you're excited, because it's going to be awesome!






The other project I've completed is the living room mantle.  I bought the mirror at Bed Bath & Beyond, but I was able to make the wreath with things I had around the house (including the wreath). In case you can't tell due to the poor picture quality, those are fabric flowers that I glued onto the grapevine wreath.

I also have my Willow Tree Angel collection displayed on the mantle, but most of it is cut off in this picture. I'll have to take a better picture next time...like use my camera instead of my phone :)

I hope you like it so far--I still have a long way to go before I have everything the way I want it.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm glad your glider upholstery project turned out so well. Maybe someday I can be as cool and crafty as you.

Niki said...

I'm diggin that mantle! What a good idea! The flowers really tie it all together.

Elder Kundis said...

AWESOME JOB!!! You are sooooo talented! I can't wait until one day I can see it all in person...luv you!