Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Christmas Report...Finally

First of all, I lied. I know, I know. It's a horrible thing to do. I really meant to take pictures of the food I made for Christmas dinner, but by the time the turkey was ready we just wanted to eat...so it didn't happen. I'm no master chef though, so I promise you're not missing much.

However, I do want to report that Megan helped me find a website with directions for cooking the turkey. This website was extremely helpful, and I produced an amazingly moist and delicious turkey. You should check it out.

As for other activities during the holidays, we went snowmobiling that Friday. The area where we went had just gotten 12 feet of snow in the 24 hours before we got there, so we weren't allowed to go very far up the mountain. The snow wasn't packed down well enough. So here's the story...

Just sit right back and you'll read a tale,

a tale of a fateful trip.

That started near a mountain top
Aboard some mid-sized snowmobiles. (A stretch, I know)

The driver was a mighty driving man (Matt),
The passenger brave and sure (that's me!).
Eight participants set out that day

For a two hour tour, a two hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,

The snow was really deep,
When we reached the top of the mountain, high,
Our fuel gauge then read "E".

Sorry, I don't think I can keep that up any longer. So we're up at the top and can't get our snowmobile to start again. Matt and I both think it was out of gas, but our tour guide claimed there was plenty. Regardless, all 6 men that were in the group stood around taking turns trying to pull-start it. They tried for half an hour. To no avail. So who had to ride three on a snowmobile? Matt and his parents. Who had to ride on the guide's snowmobile? Me. Then we're within minutes from the lodge when the other 3 snowmobiles are nowhere in sight. The guide tells me to get off while he drives the snowmobile in a circle to turn it around and find them. He drives it into a lot of unpacked snow and gets his stuck too. Very stuck. We left with 5 snowmobiles and came back with three. We had fun anyway. I started playing in the snow during the 30 minute wait at the top and was able to sink far enough in the snow that it came up to my chest. It was pretty entertaining trying to get out of that too.

If you ever get a chance to go snowmobiling, I definitely recommend it!


Jill said...

Super fancy new background!

Well, it was no trip to Portland but sounded pretty fun.

Kimberly said...

I'm still disappointed that you didn't get pictures of you dinner, but next time I have to make a turkey, I'm trying that recipe. And I think I would freak out standing in snow that deep. What if you got stuck and nobody could get you out and you just got covered in snow?

Megan said...

That's some crazy snow! I may have never made a turkey before... but I know how to do a google search! :) I'm glad it turned out.